UCT Open Days
UCT hosts Open Days aimed at high school students in Grades 10, 11 and 12, their families, teachers and guidance counsellors.
This event presents an ideal opportunity for school-going learners and their parents or guardians to explore the vast range of study options that UCT showcases on this day. Open Day gives learners the chance to find out for themselves exactly what certain fields of study entail. The opportunity to speak to someone face-to-face about the different academic programmes and what they involve is absolutely vital to making the appropriate study choices.
All faculties and departments participate in this event, which features a wide range of activities including:
- displays by all faculties and their respective departments
- lectures by academic members of staff from the various faculties
- information about financial assistance
- personal interaction with current students and academics
- library tours and exposure to some of the facilities on campus
- sports facilities available to students
The university also organises a number of days when interested students can visit specific faculties or departments.
Details of Open Days are sent to schools as well as being posted on the UCT website.
Other services offered
The Student Recruitment Office also offers the following services to prospective students:
- school talks to Grade 11 and 12 learners
- Grade 9 subject-choice talks
- campus tours
- career evenings
- career exhibitions
- assistance with the application procedure
- provision of application forms
- UCT evenings for prospective students and parents
- student recruitment officers who will discuss study options available at UCT with prospective students free of charge
UCT has a resource centre for scholars, prospective students, guidance teachers and parents to help young people work out their career choices and study options.
The centre is open Monday to Friday from 08h30 to 16h30 and is located within the Admissions Office, Level 3, Kramer Building, Middle Campus. It offers:
- information on degree programmes at UCT
- information to help students decide on a specific course of study
- access to UCT's website and faculty sites.