This course will introduce students, researchers, and officials in state agencies to the key concepts in measuring income, expenditure, poverty and inequality. There will also be a strong practical component where participants will use survey data to undertake welfare measurement and analysis.
- Introduction to the measurement of income and expenditure,
- Measuring poverty and poverty lines,
- Practical issues in measuring poverty,
- Measuring Inequality,
- Practical issues in measuring inequality,
- Asset indices as alternative measures of well-being,
- Practical issues in creating and using asset indices.
This course will run for 11 weeks online, with one 1.5 hour lecture and one 1.5 hour Stata practical per week.