Parent orientation is organised for the parents of first-year students who have been made a firm offer of acceptance at UCT for 2013.
It is traditionally a time when parents are introduced to UCT, and allows them to familiarise themselves with how the university operates. It provides information on how the university is structured to offer the best possible learning environment, and also explains what students can expect in their first year of study.
Activities include a formal welcome by the Vice-Chancellor in the historic Jameson Hall; library tours and meeting the faculty deans.
Various talks are also organised on topics such as:
- Transport (the Jammie Shuttle service)
- Environmental safety
- Security and crime prevention
- Residence life
- Career management
- What to expect at student orientation, and
- Looking after the physical and psychological health of our students: a guide to parents
Parents Orientation takes place on:
- Tuesday, 29 January at 14h00 - parents living outside of Cape Town/Western Cape (parents to be seated by 13h45)
- Saturday, 2 February at 09h30 - parents living in Cape Town (parents to be seated by 09h15)
Notification of this event will be emailed or posted to parents before the end of December or early January. Kindly diarise the date in the meanwhile. If your child has been made a firm or a late offer of acceptance and you do not receive notification, please complete and submit the appropriate application form for the date you wish to attend (see Links on the right).
Application form for local parents
(2 Feb 2013)