Based in the Faculty of Humanities, the UCT English Language Centre (ELC) delivers year-round continuing education programmes in English as a Foreign Language to international participants of all ages. A range of courses are offered at various proficiency levels, including General English, English for Business Communication and preparation courses for the IELTS, TOEFL and Cambridge English exams. The Centre also runs a pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes programme for international applicants to UCT who need to improve their level of English before beginning their degree course.
In line with innovative teaching and learning practice in the sector, ELC uses a learner-centred approach which focuses on students' individual needs and learning styles, and a communicative method to get students communicating with confidence from the start.
Classes are taught in small groups of no more than 12 students to allow all participants to benefit from individual attention and feedback.
As well as following a coursebook, teachers use a wide range of materials, including listening and video clips, authentic reading texts and digital learning resources.
The lessons are based on real-life themes, topics and ideas to help students engage with the language in an exciting and relevant way.
- Courses are offered at 20, 25 and 30 lessons per week.
- Students can begin their course on any Monday and study for any number of weeks.
- Classes take place at the main ELC premises on Hiddingh Campus and various locations on Upper and Middle Campus.
- All teachers hold recognised English Language Teaching professional qualifications.
- Accommodation is provided at the ELC and UCT residences or with Homestay hosts.
- All course materials are provided free of charge.
- The Centre runs a social and activities programme to help participants to make the most of their time in Cape Town.
For full details or to book a course visit the ELC website.