Call for applications
In 2019 the Alliance for Digital Humanities Organizations (ADHO) Digital Humanities conference will take place from 9-12 July in Utrecht, The Netherlands. In the week before Digital Humanities Conference 2019 (DH2019), i.e.
1-5 July 2019, the Lorentz Center in Leiden (also The Netherlands) will host a satellite workshop aimed at the articulation of the specific developments in the field of DH that are taking shape in Africa and their potential to enhance the global DH agenda. In addition, attention will be given to capacity building and the planning of initiatives along the lines of ‘science4development’. The programme will include introductions into the infrastructural support for DH and the most widely used data analysis methods with the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Who can apply
The workshop will welcome students and early-career scholars from the African continent for a week of lectures, tutorials, presentations, networking and debate. The selected participants are expected to attend DH2019 in Utrecht as well.
Grants to cover the costs for travel and accommodation during the Lorentz workshop and DH2019, plus the conference fee for DH2019 can be applied for.
How to apply
Applicants are expected to prepare/collect the following:
- curriculum vitae, including contact details (max 1 page);
- letter of motivation (700-1000 words);
- letter of support from their supervisor (max 1 page);
- statement on the estimated height of the financial contribution by the participant and/or their institute. These four elements are to be submitted as one PDF-file.
In their motivation letter applicants should indicate:
- their research interests and/or current planned research;
- their digital skills and the DH competences they would like to develop and/or to improve during the workshop;
- their earlier involvement in DH events (workshops, etc.) as a participant or otherwise.
Details on how to submit an application can be found on the workshop website.
Deadline for applications: 31 January 2019
Notification of acceptance: 13 February 2019
Submission of participants’ profiles: 1 June 2019
Workshop dates: 1-5 July 2019
DH2019 conference: 9-12 July
Links to relevant information pages
Visit the DHAfrica blog for selection criteria, venue and other details.
Visit the DH2019 homepage
Visit hte DH2019 Focus on Africa page