Home > About UCT > Services & support > Health & well-being
Services & support
Home > About UCT > Services & support > Health & well-being

Health and well-being

UCT is committed to ensuring that the university is a safe and hospitable environment for all members of its community. The university offers a number of services and various forms of support to both staff and students.

Campus Protection Services

Campus Protection Services (CPS) is committed to protecting the safety of the university community and its property, as well as maintaining order in accordance with university policy.

CPS staff are highly trained and, in the unfortunate circumstances of a crime being committed against anyone in the UCT community, they are competent in dealing with the practical and legal aspects, such as first-aid and what to do in a case of sexual assault.

CPS operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In case of any emergency, call the CPS 24-hour hotline – use only the last 4 digits if calling from a UCT extension.

Hotline: +27 (0)21 650 2222/3

Student Wellness Service

The Student Wellness Service (SWS) sees to the physical and emotional well-being of students. Doctors and nurses are available by appointment.

Phone: +27 (0)21 650 1017/20

The SWS provides:

  • free HIV/AIDS testing and counselling
  • follow-up medical and psychological support in cases of sexual assault
  • support for chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes and tuberculosis
  • minor surgical procedures.

A dedicated team of psychologists assists with issues such as anxiety, depression, addiction, family problems, and relationship and sexuality issues. Sexually transmitted infections (STIs), pregnancy, contraception, pap smears and emergency contraception are also dealt with.

Office for Inclusivity and Change (OIC)

The Office for Inclusivity and Change provides institutional responses to transformation, sexual and gender-based violence, disability and cultural change. The OIC includes the Disability Service.

Phone: +27 (0)21 650 1005/6

Sexual assault

The majority of sexual assaults are committed by people we know. Sexual assault is a crime and should ideally be reported to the police.

If you are sexually assaulted, get yourself to a safe space and speak to somebody that you trust. You are able to request a female Campus Protection Service (CPS) officer to assist. It is very important that you seek medical attention, so that you can get prophylactic treatment for HIV/AIDS and any other necessary medical assistance.

Disability Service

The Disability Service ensures that students and staff with disabilities are able to access all that the university has to offer, including:

  • accessible transport
  • disabled parking spaces
  • assistive technologies and furniture
  • appropriately formatted academic material
  • examination concessions
  • emotional and psychological support.

The service works towards the removal of all barriers that may prevent students and staff from realising their full potential.