If you have a disability or medical condition that you feel might impact on your ability to perform under test or examination conditions, please come to the Disability Service to discuss what suitable accommodations could be applied for.
These accommodations are applied for through the Disability Service and include:
- The use of a computer as an alternative to handwritten test and exam scripts.
- The support of a reader, or the use of a text to speech software package.
- The use of a scribe, or the use of a speech to text software package.
- A secluded location for the writing of tests and examinations.
- An extra time concession of up to a maximum of 15 minutes in the hour.
Applications for an extra time concession
In the case of applications for an extra time concession special procedures apply. These applications are considered by a subcommittee of the Senate. UCT's policy regarding the granting of long term extra time concessions is explained in the document: Information about applying for a long term concession for extra time in examinations. It is important that you read this document carefully.
In the case of students with Specific Learning Disabilities and a diagnosis of AD/HD a report from a registered psychologist is required. This document details the information that is needed in the psychologist's assessment report and it lists the tests that are required.
How to go about applying for a long term application for extra time on the grounds of a Specific Learning Disability or a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Disorder
How to go about applying for extra time on the grounds of a chronic illness or physical disability
Please consult the document: The process of applying for a long term extra time concession on the grounds of a physical disability or chronic illness.
Please note that arrangements need to be put in place well in advance of the term end examinations. The deadlines for registration with the Disability Service and for the submission of all supporting documentation for the extra time concession as well as all other long term accommodations are as follows:
First Term deadlines.
- Registration with the Disability Service: 20 March
- Final date for the submission of your documents: 23 April
Second Term deadlines.
- Registration with the Disability Service: 20 August
- Final date for the submission of your documents: 23 September