You need to be registered before you can get your student card. These cards will be issued during Orientation once you are registered. The student card is your passport to all of UCT's services, such as the library, computer labs, etc. A valid student card can also entitle you to a number of student discounts so keep it safe and have it on you at all times.

The Access Control department offers the following services:

  • production of UCT staff, student and third-party identification cards
  • replacement of lost or damaged cards (see conditions below)
  • assigning access to individuals or groups to specific areas on campus (all requests to be authorised by relevant heads of department)
  • processing general access-related queries.

If you need a replacement card the following conditions apply:

  • Badly damaged or lost cards: If your card is badly damaged (cracked or bent) or has been lost you will have to pay for a replacement card. The cost is R120, payable at the cashiers office, level 3, Kramer Law Building, Middle Campus. Upon payment you will receive a receipt which you bring to Access Control for the new card.
  • Worn cards: If the print on your card is badly worn from normal wear and tear the card is replaced free of charge.
  • Stolen cards: If your card is stolen it is replaced free of charge provided you present an affidavit from the police where it was reported stolen.
  • Proof of identification: Should you wish to get a new card for whatever reason you will be required to produce positive proof of identification.

To log a fault or request additional physical access for an individual or a group of people please complete a BAS10: Access control fault logging or access request form.